Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 15 January 2013

A Bit of Pencil Relaxation (and rubber)

 
A bit off colour this afternoon, so I have posted one of my drawings. Give me a pencil and a piece of paper and I will spend hours once I get started. The church in the drawing is taken from a photograph I took of St.Mary's Halesworth back in the summer.
Remembering my childhood at St.Marks in Pysons Road Ramsgate and being perhaps an unruly choir-boy in those days, the short poem of Thomas Hardy came to mind.
 
On afternoons of drowsy calm
We stood in the panelled pew,
Singing one-voice a Tate-and- Brady psalm
To the tune of 'Cambridge New'
 
We watched the elms, we watched the rooks,
The clouds upon the breeze,
Between the whiles of glancing at our books,
And swaying like the trees.
 
So mindless were those outpourings!-
Though I am not aware
That I have gained by subtle thought on things
Since we stood psalming there. 
             
                                                                         Thomas Hardy 1850
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment